It was a very strong first week of practice. We were lucky to be outside with some decent weather (other than the monsoon that was fun to work out in on Thursday). I am already seeing some progress in nearly every area, and I am already starting to notice people on the TEAM who are willing to step up as leaders and really work for something.
With a TEAM as large as ours, it is very important that each of you do your part. Each of you need to do your best to get things in on time (eligibility and apparel order). Each of you need to your best to be at practice (or communicate with your coaches when you are going to have to miss). Each of you need to take personal ownership over your workouts and also try to motivate and push your teammates. It is a challenge, but we will build unity and strength with our large numbers.
We have an important week coming up:
1. Eligibility Papers - are due by Wednesday, March 5th. If you don't have the papers, you can get them from me at practice on Monday. Please fill out the papers, pay in the office, and bring the packet stapled to your receipt. If this is your first sport at Davis and you need to do an 'A' physical form with a doctor - please get that done as soon as possible. You will not be able to compete until your eligibility is complete. If you are doing the 'B' physical form - you do NOT need the physician's signature.
2. MANDATORY Drug Testing Meeting - Starting this year, every athlete in the Davis School District has to agree to random drug testing. Each athlete and his/her parents needs to attend a very brief information meeting at one point during the year where an administrator will review the policy. If you already attended the meeting and filled out the form for a prior sport, then you do not have to attend again for track. We will have the track Drug Test Policy meeting on Wednesday, March 5th at 5:00pm in the cafeteria. The athlete and 1 parent needs to attend. If you miss the meeting, you are going to have to come in to the office and meet with Rich Firmage in order to get the form and the information. PLEASE attend on Wednesday so that we get as many as possible out of the way.
3. Track Clothing Order - I have attached the order form for Davis Track Apparel to this email. You have the option of a hoody, a t-shirt, and soccer pants. You do not need to order anything, but we would encourage you to at least order the t-shirt. The order is due by Friday, March 7th. You need to bring your order form with you and pay the money in the office. The secretaries will take your order form and put it in my box in the office. I will be sending in the order on Friday evening. Parents are welcome to order any of the track apparel that they would like.
4. Davis Time Trials - I think I got the date incorrect on the Davis Time Trials somewhere. We will hold the time trials on Thursday, March 6th. All sprinters will be doing the 100m and 300m. All hurdlers will be doing the 100/110 Hurdles and the 300m Dash (100m Dash optional). All distance runners will be doing the 1200m Run (with a workout afterward). We will also be measuring throws at shot put and javelin. Jumpers (pole vault, high jump, and long jump) will measure their attempts at some point either this week or early next week.
5. Tuesday's Practice - Due to the ACT and the state basketball game, we will not hold practice on Tuesday. You are encouraged to do something active that day. You are welcome to go to the track to work out on your own, find a hill and do some hill repeats, or go to the gym and lift (Davis weight room will not be an option until after 12). Distance runners should go out for 4-7 miles.
Summary of this week:
Tuesday - ACT No official practice
Wednesday - Eligibility Papers Due
Thursday - Time Trials
Friday - Track Clothing Order Due
Track Spikes: For those of you looking for track spikes to compete in. I recommend Striders in Layton (on Hill Field Road), Dick's at the Mall, or www.eastbay.com if you know your size. You can also occasionally find a great deal at Ross.
Thought for the week: In a track coach's dreamworld, all of you would never miss practice and would never want to quit. But I know that some of you are going to have to fight hard to stick with this for the next 11 weeks. I do hope that all of you can see the value of participating and being fully committed this season. I promise it is going to make you faster and stronger - a better athlete and a better person. You have to find your reason and your motivation for it. Best of luck to each of you as you work through any doubts, fears, and discouragement. I challenge you to come to practice excited and prepared. I challenge you to encourage and inspire your teammates as we work toward some common goals. I also challenge each of you to consider yourself as your greatest competitor - fight hard to be your very best. I know that some days are going to be hard - a lot of you might even be sore or tired or doubting yourself after the first week, but put your heart into it for the next 11 weeks, and you will find a very rewarding and satisfying feeling on the other side of this season.
A pretty good athlete once said, "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit however, it lasts forever." (Lance Armstrong - but there is still so much truth in the statement).
Please let me know if you or your parents have any questions.
2014 Track Schedule
Don't forget to join the facebook page (Davis Track & Field) and follow us on Twitter (@davistrackandxc)
ps. If your parents would like to receive the emails this season, please send their name and email address.